Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is the center licensed?
Yes, Two Little Owls Schoolhouse is fully licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care.
2. Can you have a tour of the center during hours of operation?
Our hours of operation are from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. We suggest calling or email to make an appointment with our Director. However, we have an open door policy, so you may also choose to stop by any time.
3. Can I borrow books that my child is reading at school?
Absolutely! One of the areas that make us unique is our Parent Lending Library. We offer a wide range of children’s book and educational textbooks for you to borrow and share at home with your children.
4. Is the center secure?
Because the center is new construction we were able to add many security features to the space.
5. What are the necessary qualifications to be a staff person?
Teachers are required to have a full background check from CORI/ DSS as well as evidence of a medical physical examination and up to date vaccinations. They will also be required to hold proper evidence of First Aid and CPR training, which is renewed each year.
6. How often is staff training provided?
All staff members are provided with training monthly and professional days which include important topics such as CPR, First Aid, SIDs training, etc.
7. What are the policies on illness?
If your child has a fever of 100.5 degrees or above, or is vomiting or has diarrhea, we ask that your child not attend daycare and consult your doctor. If your child becomes ill while attending day care, the director will call the parents to pick up your child as soon as possible.
8. What is the teacher/child ratio?
Our teacher/child ratios are:
Infant Room – 1:3 Toddler Room – 1:4 Pre-School – 1:7 Pre-K – 1:7
9. Is the child care center insured?
Yes, we are fully insured.
10. What is the discipline policy?
We believe in teaching children appropriate behaviors. Please refer to the parent hand book for a more detailed discipline policy.
11. What is the policy for your child bringing in toys to the Schoolhouse?
We suggest that your child keep their special toys at home or leave them in the car so they have them available after they depart from child care. This prevents special toys from being lost or broken.
12. What type of curriculum is offered to the children?
Please refer to the Programs tab for a more detailed description of the programs we offer for each age group.
13. What type of snacks and lunch is given?
We follow a program that meets the USDA guidelines for nutrition and dietary needs of each child. A menu for the month is posted in the center.
14. What is the nap and rest time policy for children at the center?
Rest time allows children to rest, sleep, and/or relax their bodies. While a child is resting on his/her personal mat he/she can read books and listen to relaxing music. Children are encouraged to use quiet voices so they and their peers can rest.
15. Is the environment smoke free?
There is no smoking is allowed in or near the center.
16. Are all toys developmentally appropriate for each age of the children?
Toys and learning centers have been selected for the child’s brain development based on their age and stage of life.
17. Does the schedule provide for fine and gross motor play?
The schedule is designed for fine and gross motor play through indoor and outdoor activities such as climbing equipment, balls, books, puzzles and arts-n-crafts materials.
18. What precautions are in place to ensure safety on the playground?
Safety is our number one propriety. Teacher/Child ratios are strictly followed to ensure safety on the playground.
19. To what extent are parents involved in center activities?
Parent involvement is very important. We welcome parents, guardians and/or grandparents as volunteers at anytime. Please see the Director for more details. Parent teacher conferences for your child’s portfolios are great opportunities to get involved in the center.
20. Is there an open-door-policy?
Yes, anytime! Two Little Owls Schoolhouse welcomes parents to stop by the center and watch their child play and learn.
21. Is there someone available to answer my questions?
Yes. You can call our office at 617-945-0071 from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM or email us at email@example.com
22. What is your inclement weather policy?
We are closed if there is a State of Emergency or Snow emergency is declared. Please see (http://www.mass.gov) for more information.
We often make a determination on whether to close based on a number of considerations including the closure of Cambridge Public Schools, whether the MBTA is running as many of our teachers commute by the T and if as a result of a storm, we sustain any damage to the Schoolhouse. We will send an email to the community regarding closure and leave a voicemail message at 617-945-0071. Please also check the annoucements on our website for the latest news.